Sunday, November 20, 2016

Melanie's Week in Review - November 20, 2016




Hello folks, hope all is well. It is actually starting to feel like autumn now with Angus (a storm) pelting us with rain and high winds. It is the perfect weather to stay in bed, all nice and toasty in your duvet. I however, decided to skip that luxury as I decided I needed to plant tulip bulbs. Crazy or what? But enough of my weather forecast and what did I read?


UK Cover
My reading malaise continued this week although I did read two books. I read one of the finalists from the SPFBO but you will hear what I thought about it soon once Qwill and Trinitytwo have had a chance to read it. Three reviews for the price of one...lucky you!

In my desperation to finish a book I broke one of my e-book purchasing rules - Thou shalt not buy an e-book over £5. I had been keeping an eye on Forevermore by Kristen Callihan had been out for a few months but it was over my fiver limit so was waiting for the price to come down.  Unfortunately, the price never budged so I bought it anyway.

In this final instalment of The Darkest London series Saint John, the new Judgement (aka angel) is still mourning the loss of his relationship with his sisters. They have not forgiven him for his relationship with Mab and don't realise it wasn't by choice.  When his long lost childhood friend Layla Starling comes to town he is even more put out that he has been assigned to bodyguard the gorgeous young woman she has grown into. Layla is happy to be back in London and in the home of her childhood friend who has grown into a tall, dark and handsome. When they discovered she is being hunted by a monster who wants to eat her soul Saint John is determined not to keep her out of his sight....all while not wanting to get too close. A conundrum indeed.  The story also features POVs from Augustus (Layla's guardian and another Judgement), Lena (Layla's biological mother) and Archer (from book 1). The plot is pretty straight forward. Layla is being hunted, Augustus is being hunted by the same Damnation and Saint John wants to protect both. There are quite a few furtive looks, heaving bosoms and smoldering glances.

Overall, the story was OK. Callihan gave an excellent overview of how she has tied all of the plots from all of the books together through a conversation between 2 of the characters. This helped me to remember what happened in the books I read a few years ago.  This wasn't my favourite of the series but everything does get wrapped up nicely at the end.


That is it for me this week. I got a 'goody' approved by NetGalley so just wait for my WIR next week to find out what it is and what I thought about it. Until next week Happy Reading!





Forevermore
Darkest London 7
Forever, June 28, 2016
Mass Market Paperback and eBook, 432 pages

Isolated and alone, Sin Evernight is one of the most powerful supernatural creatures in heaven and on earth. As an angel of vengeance, he hunts down the darkest evil, but when his long-lost friend, Layla Starling, needs him, he vows to become her protector. Even though she will be horrified by the man he has become.

Now a famous singer and the toast of London, Layla believes that Sin is only here to guard her from rabid fans and ardent suitors. However, the truth is far more sinister. Desperate to avoid losing Layla a second time, Sin will face a test of all his powers to defeat an unstoppable foe - and win an eternity with the woman he loves.

0 comments:

Post a Comment